Sunday, September 25, 2011

Weblog6

I am somewhat Twitter literate. I don't have a twitter so because of that I am less informed than many people that do. I sometimes go on twitter to follow professional athletes or celebrities that I am interested in. I prefer to use facebook because I started using that first and I don't really find it necessary to have two forms of social media. However I may end up getting a twitter in order to promote stories that I write because I want to go into journalism. That is how my twitter literacy is evolving. As I become more and more interested in twitter I start going on it more and getting more comfortable with it. Right now I just know the basics about what it is and the purpose of it. If I do end up making one I will learn how to use it to communicate and get informed about things. I would define 21st century skills as knowing how to use technology such as social networks and cell phones for not only social activity but also ways of being productive and informing yourself. You acquire these skills by using the technology a lot and having a desire to be informed. School can teach these skills somewhat because they can make opportunities for students to become better at technology but ultimately the student has to be willing to learn in order for it to work. Your culture definitely has a lot to do with your 21st literacy rate. If you are from a poor area you won't have as much access to technology so that will keep you from learning. It will cost you time and money because you may have to travel far in order to use a computer and the cost of your time and money may prevent you from wanting to learn. If you are from a wealthy area it's much easier to learn about technology. Your schools have computers and your house probably does as well. You also probably have access to the internet in another way as well, such as a smart phone. By having so many more opportunities it's much easier for someone to learn about technology.

No comments:

Post a Comment